Reducing bounce rate and increasing pageviews using related articles techniques
An important element in all web sites is user engaging. For sure, we want that our users don’t left too soon our web site.
WPMoneyClick has a content provider called ‘WordPress’ that is designed to handle WordPress posts and pages as ‘data’, that can be used / manipulated using the plugin capabilities.
In this tutorial we will create 2 types of ‘related articles’:
- ‘Classic’ related articles, displayed at the end of a post or using an animated flyout/popup
- ‘Inline’ related article, where we ‘merge’ inside existing articles a box where we suggest to read (also) something else in our web site
In both cases our goals are:
- Increase number of viewed pages in your site
- Decrease the bounce rate (% of people that left your site after visiting one page/post)
- Keep readers attention
- Increase user engagement
Creating a content item with the WordPress provider
The first step we must do is to create a content item using the ‘WordPress’ provider (here a video tutorial on how to create a content item).
Looking at the picture above you see some key attributes for this content item:
- Post selection: you can decide how the provider will select posts that are shown as ‘related articles’. You can use current post categories, current post tags or a custom taxonomy. Here we use ‘current post categories’.
- Sort: you can sort the selected posts by publish/modified date, author, random, etc.
- Template: this is key as the template is linked to the type of provider we are using. In this case we are using the ‘WPMC WordPress Related Article’ template. Note that each template can support some (optional) template attributes. In this case this template supports the template attribute ‘title’.
- Display Mode: how this related-article is going to be visualized to our users: for this example we use ‘WPMC Popup Right’
- Count: the number of related articles to be displayed. In this example we put 3.
Now we want that in all our posts (not in site pages or in the home page) these related artcles, magically, appears. It’s time to use automatic publishing.
Publishing automatically the related articles to all site posts
WPMoneyClick has a very powerful and flexible system to publish your contents in all your web sites, using publishing groups and publishing rules (see this video tutorial to learn how to create publishing rule/group).
In this case what we need to setup is:
- A publishing rule that links the content item we just created.
Note that ‘Inject position’ is ignored as the display mode is ‘popup bottom right’ (this attribute make sense only when display mode is ‘inline’).
- A publishing group that contains the above publishing rule:
That’s it. Nothing more to do. Now every time your users will see a post, a flyout popup will ‘enter’ in the screen with a smooth animation to show to your users 3 related articles they can read…
What about inline related article?
A variant of the related articles is to ‘inject’ a single related-artitle in the middle of post text. This is an effective way to have your users spending more time in your web site.
Taking as example what we did in this tutorial, you need to:
- Change the content item display mode from ‘popup bottom right’ to ‘inline’. Change also the ‘count’ attribute to 1 (3 are too much for inline injection!)
- Change the publish rule injection position to ‘Middle of the post’ (or whatever you like).